What are my rights if I helped with the down payment and some remodeling costs regarding my ex-fiance’s home?

UPDATED: Nov 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if I helped with the down payment and some remodeling costs regarding my ex-fiance’s home?

I expected that we would be together. We have ended the relationship and now she doesn’t want to pay me back. I have cancelled checks and she agreed at the onset to pay me back. Do I have any recourse?

Asked on November 8, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, South Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your "ex" now refuses to reimburse you for the costs that you incurred in the home, you should write a demand letter seeking a way to resolve the issue by way of a promissory note with an agreed upon amount payable in a certain monthly amount at a certain interest rate.

If you do not receive a favorable response to this letter, your option if you want your money back is to bring a legal action for the repayment. You should consult with a business attorney about the situation that you write about. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption