What do I need to do to turn a residential property into a commercial property in a mixed zoning district?

UPDATED: Jun 22, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 22, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I need to do to turn a residential property into a commercial property in a mixed zoning district?

What do I need to do to turn a residential property into a commercial property in a mixed zoning district? I’m considering purchasing a home on a fully commercial street (businesses are to my immediate left and right, and throughout the entire street). I’d like to know what steps I need to take to make this happen. What permits do I need, etc.?

Asked on June 22, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Tennessee


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I'm not a Tennessee lawyer, and this is one area where law and procedure can differ quite a bit from one state to another. The exact wording of the local zoning ordinance is probably important, as are the other detailed facts of the situation.  One place to find an attorney who can help sort all this out for you is our website, http://attorneypages.com

Typically, zoning restrictions deal with both permitted and prohibited uses, and with physical characteristics like lot size and width, how far from the road the building has to be, and how many parking spaces are required or permitted for a particular business use.  If the commercial use is one of those permitted for the district, that's one major obstacle you won't face, probably, unless there are issues with the physical characteristics.  You might be able to get a quick read on this from the town's zoning officer or other official, but that's not always reliable. I would recommend very strongly that you work this through with a lawyer before you sign.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption