What do I do if my brothers have take exclusive rights to my deceased parents’ property which we share title to?

UPDATED: Aug 25, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 25, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I do if my brothers have take exclusive rights to my deceased parents’ property which we share title to?

My brothers changed the locks to the house and told me to sign over my 1/5 ownership. When I request information on the property, I am verbally assaulted. I was physically attacked the last time I was at the home and do not feel safe. The have put the house up for sale and continue to work with the listing agent without discussing or make collective decisions with me. They are angry that I found out that they were selling the house and tried to exclude me from the seller’s agreement, so that when the house sells, the payment will go to them.

Asked on August 25, 2011 California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation.  It is difficult enough to deal with the death of one's parents but to have to deal with untrustworthy siblings on top of that, well, it is just unfair.  I do think that you can not do this alone.  You are going to need an attorney to help you.  First, let the attorney know about their attempt to sell.  You did not sign over the ownership rights, did you?  And is your name on the deed with your siblings?  That is the best way to insure that they can not transfer the house without your knowledge.  You also need to notify the listing agent about your intentions.  Although you may want to keep the house it may be best for you to be rid of them and their antics.  Just make sure that your share is protected.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption