What course of action do I have when a company I did business with forged my signature on a contract?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What course of action do I have when a company I did business with forged my signature on a contract?

The credit card processing company I was using for my business forged my signature on the ‘agreement’ forms. They also state that I was in a 3 year contract, which I wasn’t, and they debited my bank account approximately 500 due to the supposed early termination. What are my options for, getting my money returned and the forging of my signature?

Asked on September 28, 2016 under Business Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

1) What you describe is a crime, or actually possibly several of the following crimes: forgery; theft by deception; fraud; identity theft. Report this to the police and also contact your state's attorney general and the banking regulator (which may oversea credit-card processing).
2) You an sue them for the money (based on fraud, consummer fraud, breach of contract and/or theft by deception), though if they are not local, this may be difficult: you can only sue local defendants in small claims court, and the cost of suing an distant defendant for $500 may mean it's not cost-effective.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption