What can I do about a judgement against me from an auto accident If I do not have the money to pay?

UPDATED: Mar 12, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 12, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do about a judgement against me from an auto accident If I do not have the money to pay?

Asked on March 12, 2015 under Bankruptcy Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

1) You can try to settle for an amount or payment terms which you can afford--the other side doesn't have to agree, but it's often a good idea to try, such as by offering them 40% to 60% of the judgment, paid voluntarily over a year.

2) You could file bankruptcy if you need to: bankrupty works agains this sort of debt as long as you were not DUI/DWI in causing the accident.

3) If you have no assets (e.g. no home, not much in the bank, etc.) and little income (apart from public assistance, disability payments, a pension, social security, etc., which cannot be garnished), then you may be effectively "collection proof": you may not have any thing which the other side can get from you even though they do have a judgment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption