What can happen if I don’t pay extra fees the complex wants to charge me for not changing the utility bill to my name?

UPDATED: Jul 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can happen if I don’t pay extra fees the complex wants to charge me for not changing the utility bill to my name?

I am only subleasing for 2 months. Since I moved in I have been asking for information regarding the eletricity bill and the staff were unable to help me. Now after a month and a half I got the bill and a notice that the complex is also charging an extra $50 utility processing fine because the bill was under their name after the girl that was living in the apartment moved out and my roommate did not change the eletricity bill to her name. I don’t feel I have the responsibility to pay this extra fee since there’s nothing in the actual contract plus the actual year-round tenants should be aware of that.

Asked on July 12, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If the $50 fine is not based upon any written agreement that you signed then you are not contractually or legally obligated to pay the amount that you are writing about as part of your sub-lease.

Likewise if the person who you rented the premises from never told you about this fee, then all the more reason why you should not be obligated to pay this $50 fee.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption