What can be done if my boyfriend is being charged with tampering with government papers?

UPDATED: Apr 28, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 28, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can be done if my boyfriend is being charged with tampering with government papers?

Someone turned in to the sheriff fake ID’s that my boyfriend had to work. Mostly they were with his name, only 1 was with his father’s name. Now he is being charged with tampering with government papers. Is there anything that could be done to get the charges dropped or not get a felony on his record?

Asked on April 28, 2011 under Criminal Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Since a criminal charge is involved here, your boyfriend really should have legal representation.  An experienced defense lawyer might be able to get the charge dismissed, reduced, or win an acquittal at trial.  You did not indicate, but if he is a first-time offender , a criminal law attorney may be able to assist him in obtaining "diversion" (or TX's equivalent). This is an alternative sentencing program in which a defendant receives a special probation, and if successfully completed, the charge will be withdrawn and the case dismissed.  Additionally, the person;s criminal history record (i.e. "rap sheet") should automatically be cleared.  However, diversion is typically only allowed for a first offense.  This means that if your boyfriend ever again gets into trouble, it will not be available to him at that later time.  That is why if he hires an attorney who is able to get the charge dismissed, he will be eligible for diversion in the future if he should need it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption