What can be done about jewelry that was stolen and purchased by store that buys gold?

UPDATED: Jan 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 29, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can be done about jewelry that was stolen and purchased by store that buys gold?

Our house was robbed and most of my jewelry was taken. It was sold to a shop that popped up that buys gold. Can we sue the shop for taking stolen goods? Can we sue the landlord who rented to the tenants that stole from us? Can we also go after the people that stole from us? I am sure that they have nothing, but what can be done?

Asked on January 29, 2012 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

1) You can't sue the landlord--the landlord is NOT responsible for the criminal actions of his/her tenants in a case like this (unless you believe that the landlord helped them commit the crime); for someone to be liable, there must be fault or wrongdoing on that person's part.

2) You can certainly sue the thieves for the value of what they took and for any other damage (e.g. broken window or lock) they caused.

3) You could sue the shop to force them to return the jewlery, if they still  have it--people may not keep others' stolen goods.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption