What are the rights of “squatters”?

UPDATED: Aug 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 21, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are the rights of “squatters”?

My boyfriend and I have lived at a house for 1 1/2 years. When we moved in the landlord we were renting from did not tell us this. About month after we started renting we got served with papers about the house. It has been a year since we were told to move out but we never did. I want to know if we have any rights now since were still there?

Asked on August 21, 2011 Oklahoma


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Squatters have no rights regarding a lease or real property unless the use by the "squatters" has manifested to a possible adverse possession or prescriptive easement claim. Such a claim usually takes at least five years.

If you were told to move out of the unit you are presently occupying, but have done nothing about it, you have yet to be served with a thirty (30) day eviction notice or a three day notice to pay rent or quit, it seems that the landlord or the current owner of the property is going to do nothing about your occupation of the unit.

I suspect that the property was foreclosed upon and the current owner is some institutional lender who simply does not have much interest in you or the property at this point.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption