What is the procedure for removing someone from the title of a house?

UPDATED: Apr 19, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 19, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the procedure for removing someone from the title of a house?

My partner and I are splitting. Both our names are on the title to the house but the loan is in my name only. What do we need to do to get the title in my name only. Would we have to sell and split the proceeds 50/50 if it came to that?

Asked on April 19, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Texas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

There is no need to sell the property and split the proceeds.

All you need to do is have your partner sign a quitclaim deed by which his/her entire interest, right, title to the property is transferred to you.  A quitclaim deed releases a party's entire interest, right, title in the property to another.  The quitclaim deed needs to be signed in the presence of a notary and then recorded.  Recorded means filed with your County Recorder's office.  The quitclaim deed is effective when it is recorded.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption