What are my options for property that I bought with my ex-boyfriend?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my options for property that I bought with my ex-boyfriend?

I bought a trailer to put on a property that I do not own with my ex-boyfriend. We had the title put in both of our names in case something happened to one of us –

Asked on August 20, 2017 under Business Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You have no right to get your money back: when two people own something jointly, neither one is obligated to pay the other out for his/her share unless they had a written contract requiring one to buy out the other. (If they did have such a contract, it can be enforced in court with a "breach of contract" lawsuit). And the seller has no obligation to return any of your money because the situation is not working out for you.
What you can do, if your ex will not voluntarily agree to sell or buy you out, is to bring a legal action for "partition" to force the sale of the trailer: when two people jointly own something and cannot agree as to what to do with it, the court has the power to order its sale and split the proceeds (after paying off any mortgages, liens, etc. and paying the cost of sale) between the owners. If one owner can prove that she paid more than the other, the court also has the power to order that she get more of the proceeds.  
If possible, hire an attorney to help you: this can be procedurally complex. If you cannot afford an attorney or insist on doing this yourself, go to the county courthouse customer service or clerk's office, describe the situation, and ask if they can direct you to a set of the relevant court rules and also any sample or template court papers to base your action on.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption