‘Car Depriciation Repair Costs’ Ex GF car

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

‘Car Depriciation Repair Costs’ Ex GF car


I dated a girl on and off for 4.5 years. We used her 2009 Saturn which had 90,000 miles when we started dating, and we broke up this year for good. The vehicle had 180,000 miles now, and feels I should pay 7000 for the depreciation of the vehicle, and for fixing the transmission. It was our only car after we made the decision to get rid of my car which had a monthly payment.

Am I legally required to pay this if there was no prior agreement?

Asked on January 7, 2018 under Business Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, in the absence of any agreement to pay for use or depreciation, you have no obligation to pay. She let you use her car--she did not need to do so, but freely chose to do so. Having let you use the car without any agreement that you would pay for use or depreciation, she cannot now, after-the-fact, impose the obligation on you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption