What are my legal rights if my mortgage company accidentally sent letter that loan is paid in full?

UPDATED: Mar 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 8, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my legal rights if my mortgage company accidentally sent letter that loan is paid in full?

We got a letter that our mortgage balance is paid in full. Do we have an obligation to tell them this is not correct?

Asked on March 8, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you received a letter from your lender for the property that you have stating that your loan balance has been paid in full where in reality it has not been, the honest thing to do would be to send a letter to the lender stating that there has been sort of an error from your position and see what transpires.

The last thing that you want to get is a full reconveyance of the mortgage in error and stop paying on it. Most likely the lender will discover the problem and request past due payments immediately that you might not have.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption