What actions can I take against my ex-wife for intentionally damaging my credit?

UPDATED: Aug 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 29, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What actions can I take against my ex-wife for intentionally damaging my credit?

She received our house and car in our divorce with the stipulation she take financial responsibility. Both items were financed in my name. Since the divorce, the car was repossessed and she has not made a house payment in 13 months. The house is now in foreclosure. Also I discovered 2 credit cards she had attached my name to (as co-signer) and has not made any payments to these accounts.

Asked on August 29, 2011 Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

As you may or may not be aware, since these creditors were not a party to your divorce, they can continue look to you for repayment; you are still liable for any repayments/defaults. However, since your wife was ordered to pay these items and did not, you could contact the court; she may or may not be held in contempt depending on the circumstances (i.e. the reason that she did not pay). The court could then order her to make payments (again depending n the circumstances). Further, to the extent that you are out-of-pocket any money, you can sue her for reimbursement. Finally, you can add a statement on your credit report as to why these accounts were not paid and/or paid late. To some degree it may be of help.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption