If my auto lender refused to take a car payment from me, does that mean the loan is paid in full?

UPDATED: Jan 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my auto lender refused to take a car payment from me, does that mean the loan is paid in full?

My auto finanace company  refused to take a car payment from me. I have proof in writing they refused payment in November and December. I was only a few day behind when this happened. Now they want to repossess Can they? Should I take them to court and sue them? And is the loan considered paid in full?

Asked on January 14, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Mississippi


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

No, it does not mean that theloan is paid in full.  And the fact that they are looking to reposes the car should tell you the answer without me having to.  What you need to do is to read your finance agreement or have someone read it on your behalf.  They may have the right to refuse to accept the money past a certain date and to reposes the vehicle instead. Maybe they do not want to take the risk that you will continually be late with the payment.  Your options here are best told to you by someone who can read the agreement.  And maybe they can help you negotiate a eal rather than to have the car taken away. Get help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption