What action can be taken?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What action can be taken?

State Texas

Parties Siblings

Story Parents deceased leave a property to 5 Children.
1 child has acquired all but one share of property legally.
the sibling that owes the last portion refuses to share in cost to maintain and repair property. Making it unable to be sold and in the near future majority owner will pass away and have to leave to his Children.

1. can anything be done to collect funds that have already been paid by majority owner from minority owner?

2. can a lien /judgment be placed in order to secure those funds?

3. an suggestions on how to acquire the other portion as the minority owner is unresponsive and not willing to negotiate.

Asked on August 26, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You cannot put a lien on the property or her interest in it to recover the amounts the majority owner spent to protect his interest in the property (i.e. he choose voluntarily to spend those amounts, albeit for good reasons; therefore, he cannot make her reimurse him); nor can you "acquire" the minority owner's interst unless she is willing to sell it to him and he is willing to buy at the price she wants.
What can be done when the co-owners of real estate cannot agree as to what to do is that one of them can bring an action "for partition" in court: this is a lawsuit brought in chancery court (a division or part o county court) asking the court to issue an order requiring that the property be sold and the proceeds distributed among the owners in proportion to their ownership interest. That--partition, or the sale of the property and distribution of the proceeds--is the law's remedy for situations like this. If the majority owner wishes to explore this option, which can be a procedurally complex one, he or she should consult with a real estate attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption