We pay taxes on land the was left to 6 people. We have paid taxes for years. How can we claim the property without their signatures?

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

We pay taxes on land the was left to 6 people. We have paid taxes for years. How can we claim the property without their signatures?

These are relatives who don’t speak. My husband owns 40% as does his brother. The other four each own 5%. The Land is in Hawaii, Florida, New Mexico and Arizona. Thank you, Dixie Barkdoll

Asked on July 6, 2009 under Real Estate Law, North Carolina


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

It won't be that simple.  You're going to have to file four lawsuits, one for each state where there's property, to force them to be sold.  The exact procedure may vary from one state to another;  one place you can look for attorneys in any of these states is our website, http://attorneypages.com

Depending on who, if anybody, is using the land, and for what purpose, you may be able to get something back for the taxes you paid for others.  And you may be able to negotiate some buy-outs, if people will at least start talking through counsel.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption