What to do regarding water damage in my co-op?

UPDATED: Aug 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do regarding water damage in my co-op?

Have water damage from upstairs neighbors sink overflow no fault of building. It’s a co-op buildingand both us are shareholders. I’m assuming the neighbors insurance should cover my damage question is how do actually get confirmation that they will? Most say that my insurance company will go after them to recover since it is covered however my coverage amount is minimal compared to what the repair work will be my agent has already told me they would only try to recover the amount which I’m covered under my policy. Do I contact the neighbor, contact the neighbors insurance directly I have the info, only discuss with the building or wait and go through a lawyer?

Asked on August 6, 2012 under Insurance Law, New York


david slater / david p.slater, esq.

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Suggest you retain counsel familiar with insurance claims and litigation.  Do not sign anything without speaking to your attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption