If I was the victim of counterfeit check scam, is there anything that I can do?

UPDATED: Mar 27, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 27, 2016Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was the victim of counterfeit check scam, is there anything that I can do?

I am a broke college student who was desperately looking for a job. I got hired as a

Asked on March 27, 2016 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The only way to get your money back--and it may not work--is to sue her for the money: there is no government agency that goes around collecting money for the victims of scams, so you have to do this yourself. If you believe you have her account number in a local bank, in theory, if you have also her address (since you need an address to serve someone--that is, to properly send her the legal papers and let the courts gain jurisdication, or power, over her), you could not only sue her but make an application for "emergent" or urgent relief consisting of a court order freezing the account so any money in it cannot disappear. But you need her addresss to serve her; you have to sue her to do this (the bank can't freeze her account on her say so--it needs  court order); if there is no money there or in any other location you find or reach with legal process, this won't help you; and even if you file the suit "pro se" (acting as your own attorney), you'll still have to foot the filing costs. It is very likely, based on how these scams generally work, that you will be unable to actually find her or the money and get it back, but if you feel you have a shot based on what you know, you can give it a try.
For future reference: no one EVER offers easy or guaranteed money to strangers, or too-good-to-be-true jobs or investment opportunities. I am speaking as a former SEC attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption