DUI in Virginia..

UPDATED: Mar 27, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 27, 2016Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

DUI in Virginia..

I have a DUI warrant in Virginia…Can I be sent back there if I’m pulled over in Colorado?

Asked on March 27, 2016 under Criminal Law, Colorado


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you are stopped for even something as minor as speeding you will be taken into custody. Even if the state that issued the warrant doesn't want to take the time and expense to extradite you for a DUI, you can be arrested again in the future and have to go through the humiliation and inconvenience each and every time. Further, the warrant will turn up on most employment background checks.
The fact is that warrants do not expire. Your best bet is to go back and clear this up. For that, will need to appear in court. Since you have not yet been arrested, turning yourself in as opposed to appearing before the judge courtesy of the jail bus is much preferred. At this point, you should consult directly with a DUI attorney who practices in the area where all of this occurred. They'll have local contacts with the court and will best be able to negotiate on your behalf.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption