Unpaid vacation time

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Unpaid vacation time

I was terminated from my job May 12.
Upon termination I was to receive my
40 hours of vacation time via mail. I
have called corporate office multiple
times and they told me the check was
mailed out. It has been a month and 6
days I still have yet to receive anything.
What do I do?

Asked on June 21, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

In your state, you are entitled to your unused vacation pay on termination of employment. They should have paid it by now. If they claim to have sent a check, find out when they say they sent and if it should have reached you by now, ask them to cancel it and re-issue you a new one. If they will not do that (and you otherwise do not get the check), try contacting your state's department of labor--they may be able to help you get the money.  Your other option would be to file a lawsuit (e.g. in small claims court, as your own attorney or "pro se" to save legal costs) for the money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption