What to do if my ex-employer deducted $390 from my last paycheck without my approval?

UPDATED: Dec 17, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 17, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my ex-employer deducted $390 from my last paycheck without my approval?

Money was deducted for airplane ticket with was purchased 3 years ago on company American Express card. Can I claim this money back at small claim court or labor department?”

Asked on December 17, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You could file a complaint with the labor department and see if they'll take it. (They may not; they may conclude this is better handled by you suing). Or you could sue. Your employer may not deduct money from you, including from your last paycheck, without your approval. Of course, if you do owe them the money (for example: you charged an airline ticket you should not have) they could also sue you--or counterclaim, if you sue them--for the money you owe. Thus, if you truly owe the money, they are entitled to it; and while they, in this case, took it the wrong way, once you open up a lawsuit, they could file their own claim. Therefore, if you the money, it is probably not worthwhile to do anything.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption