How to file for divorce?

UPDATED: Aug 15, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to file for divorce?

My husband and I basically do not have anything. We are a young couple that did not workout. We just want to get the divorce and we do not know what to do. I have recently recieved my greencard and in case I change my name I will need a new greencard. I am concern that can affect my situation. How is the decree? Do we state the name change and do I have to change my name right away or have time?

Asked on August 15, 2012 under Family Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I suggets that you and your spouse go down to the county court house and speak with the court clerk about a marital dissolution packet for both of you to fill out, date, sign and file with respect to this seemingly uncontested dissolution. Most courts have such packets to assist people in your situation as well as clinics for marital dissolutions where questions can be asked and answered.

In the form, ask that your name be changed to what you want it to be.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption