The we live on in Florida was deeded to only me by my dad. In s divorce does my wife have rights to it?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

The we live on in Florida was deeded to only me by my dad. In s divorce does my wife have rights to it?

During a divorce does my wife have rights to
land that was deeded to only me in a divorce?

Asked on September 6, 2016 under Family Law, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

In a divorce, as a general rule, property owned before marriage remains the seperate property of the titled owner. This is true so long as no joint marital funds have been used to maintain and/or improve it. So for example, if the property was a house that a married couple lived and joint marital assets were used to pay the mortgage and build an addition onto, then the property may have "transmutted" into a marital asset. In such a case, the other spouse may have rights to it. To be certain of your legal standing, you should consult directly with a divorce attorney in your area who can best further advise you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption