What to do if the hospital next to our house used to accept our insurance but stopped without notifying us?

UPDATED: Mar 21, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 21, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if the hospital next to our house used to accept our insurance but stopped without notifying us?

We would go there for medical needs. They stopped accepting it but never informed us, and continued to charge us for our co-pay. Suddenly, out of no where, they sent us a $4,000 bill saying they won’t submit to our insurance because they no longer accept it. What is the proper course of action?

Asked on March 21, 2013 under Bankruptcy Law, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I would take the position that since this hospital previously accepted your insurance and took the co-pay, then you are still covered under the insurance policy since you were not given notice that your insurance was no longer accepted. Since you are on notice now about such, you cannot take the position in the future that your insurance should be accepted.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption