What canI do to mitigatedefaulted student loans on my co-signer’s credit report?

UPDATED: Dec 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What canI do to mitigatedefaulted student loans on my co-signer’s credit report?

I recently went through a Chapter 13 bankruptcy. My student loans for which my dad co-signed are not to be repaid under the plan. My dad’s credit report shows that they are in default. Is there anything I can do to mitigate the negative effect on his credit score?

Asked on December 14, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately there is nothing that you can do with respect to your father's negative credit score as a result of your student loans that he co-signed on where you obtained some relief from making payments on the loans as a result of your Chapter 13 bankruptcy filing.

The only realistic thing that you can do to improve your father's credit score is to begin making payments on the loans that he is legally obligated to make payments on since he is the co-signer.

Most likely the entity that made the student loans that you are not obligated to repay will be seeking repayment of them from your father since he co-signed on them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption