Should my job tried to accommodate me before I was forced to quit due to a lack of restroom facilities?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Should my job tried to accommodate me before I was forced to quit due to a lack of restroom facilities?

Female electrician working on highway
job. Had to quit due to port-o-potties
not always being available. Sent boss a
text regarding the issue and he just
said, o.k..

Asked on July 14, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If there were bathrooms designated only for men, not for a woman, then this would be an employment discrimination case: you did not receive something the male employees did and were treated worse than them. But if there were no bathrooms available for anyone, it is not discrimination: discrimination is treating you worse or differently than men, not holding you to the same conditions or treatment. If treated like the men, there is no discrimination. "Accommodation" is not an issue here--you accommodate a disability, but being female is not a disability.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption