Should my dad obtain a lawyer to fight a careless driving ticket and does he have a good chance at winning?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Should my dad obtain a lawyer to fight a careless driving ticket and does he have a good chance at winning?

He was the third car in line at a single lane red light. The light turned green the first 2 cars turn left and he went straight. A bicyclist that was traveling the wrong way against traffic on the opposite side of the road, went through the red light in front of him and he hit her with the front bumper driver’s side of the car. There was no damage to his car but knocked the girl off the bike. He was not issued a ticket at the scene but received one in the mail.The rider was under 17 and not wearing a helmet. And the applicable statute states a bicyclist must obey all state and local automobile driving laws. A parent may be held responsible for the child’s violation of any traffic law. He has a court date next week.

Asked on May 23, 2018 under General Practice, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

He is not likely to win entirely since there was a collision, but if he is willing to pay more money to avoid points on his license, the prosecutor may let him plead to "Unsafe Driving," N.J.S.A 39:4-97.2, which has a greater fine but no points on the license. He can likely arrange that plea himself. If that is already the offense he is charged with (again, number 39:4-97.2), that is already as good an outcome as he can likely get, and should mostlikely just pay the fine(s). 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption