What to do about damage to my car if it was caused by 2 boys trying to escape a pitbull attack?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about damage to my car if it was caused by 2 boys trying to escape a pitbull attack?

I saw 2 male juveniles approximately 15-17 years old on top of my car that was parked in my

driveway. I ran outside. They claim the reason that they were on the car is because they were trying to escape from a pitbull that belongs to a neighbor a few houses down. Police report was filed. There is damage to the top of my car a dent almost the width of the car’s roof about 6′ deep and my windshield is bashed in in 2 places.

Asked on June 2, 2016 under Accident Law, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Sue the boys (or if they are under 18, as seems to be the case, their parents or legal guardians) for the cost to repair your car: even if the jumped on, etc. your car to escape a pitbull, they and their guardians are still responsible for the damage they caused. (Escaping a pitbull would mean the damage would not be considered a criminal act, but they still have to pay monetarily for what they did.)
Alternately, if you have the appropriate insurance, you can submit a claim to your own insurer and then, if worth your time, sue in small claims court for the deductible or any other amounts not paid.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption