Should i pay for vet bills if my dog attacks another dog?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Should i pay for vet bills if my dog attacks another dog?

My dog got out of the fence around 5pm
in NC and got into a fight with another
dog. The dog’s owner shot my dog and i
left to take my dog to the vet to be
treated for the gun shot. Now its been
four months and they sent a certified
letter demanding payment for the vet
bill around 800 that they incurred. The
incident occurred on there property. My
question is should i tell them i will be
willing to pay the fair market value of
the dog and nothing more or let the
matter go to court?

Asked on January 25, 2019 under Business Law, North Carolina


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

As a dog owner, you are liable for negligence for your dog getting out of your fence and injuring another dog. Therefore, you are liable for the entire $800 vet bill.
Although your neighbor used excessive force in shooting your dog, it is unlikely that you would prevail on that claim.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption