Dealership with buyer’s remorse, what should I do?

UPDATED: Jan 25, 2019

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 25, 2019Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Dealership with buyer’s remorse, what should I do?

I bought a car last friday, and was excited about the deal. They gave a fair amount for my trade, and fair price on the car I wanted. We closed, and all was good. Then, 4 days later, I get a call suggesting that the payoff amount was

Asked on January 25, 2019 under Business Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If the deal was closed and you paid the amount requested, they are stuck with the deal: they have no legal grounds to rework it. If one of their employees erred, they can discipline, suspend, etc. that employee, but are bound to the agreement they entered into. Similarly, they have no grounds to report the vehicle as stolen or repossses the car, and if they try to, there are various legal actions or complaints (e.g. for filing a false police report; for malicous use or abuse of process; for theft [taking your car]) you could file against them with the authorities or use as the basis to sue them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption