Do we need legal representation for misdemeanor charges?

UPDATED: Jan 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do we need legal representation for misdemeanor charges?

My husband has a clean record and was recently charged with criminal mischief III, disruptive conduct II, and offensive littering. He had too much to drink and has never caused trouble before. We don’t make enough money for a lawyer. On-line we read that he could be fined $2000 and/or serve 30 days in jail. We are both really worried about the outcome and we’re wondering if he will face these charges or jail time if he has a clean record? Should we scrape up some money to get a lawyer or he can represent himself? We don’t have experience with the court system and really needs some advice.

Asked on January 8, 2011 under Criminal Law, Oregon


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Anytime a criminal charges, are involved it is critical to have competent legal representation.  An experienced criminal law attorney may be able to get one or more of the charges dismissed and/or reduced.  Additionally, since your husband is a first-time offender, he may be eligible for some form of alternative sentencing that will leave him with a clean criminal record.  And in this day and age, employers, licensing agencies, and the like do thorough background checks.  Try to hire one that is local to the court in question; they will have contacts within the court system that can be invaluable in this case.

Since jail time is potentially involved, he may be appointed a Public Defender (if he meets the income eligibility requirements).  If he doesn't, check to see if he qualifies for representation by Legal Aid (although they have their own income guidelines).  Additionally, you could see if there is a law school nearby to the court in question; they typically run legal clinics that handle just this type of case for gree/low cost.  Finally, you could also contact the local Bar Association in the county in which this has all taken place; they may have a list of attorneys who will take his case "pro bono" (for free) or at least for a reduced fee based on his income/circumstances. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption