What is my recourse if my roommate walked away from our lease?

UPDATED: Dec 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is my recourse if my roommate walked away from our lease?

My roommate walked away from our lease and refuses to pay. I can’t afford the entire rent so I will have to leave too.

Asked on December 15, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, you cannot stay, as you seem to understand, if you can't pay the rent. Worse, the  landlord could sue (and/or your roommate) for the remaining balance of the lease--that is, if you breach the lease with four months left on it, you and/or the roommate could be sued for four months rent.

Your options:

1) You may be able to sublease--i.e. find a new roommate, who will sublet from you, providing the funds to cover the rent. If your lease does not bar subleases, you can do this.

2) You can sue your former roommate for any monetary losses or damages or additional costs (e.g. moving) her breach of the lease causes you to incur.

3) If you can find someone willing to pay for the whole apartment, you may be able to assign you lease to him or her (so long as your own lease does not bar this)--he or shewould take over from you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption