Reimbursement for Dental procedure

UPDATED: Jan 9, 2019

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 9, 2019Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Reimbursement for Dental procedure

How long can a dental office keep an overpayment? I paid for the procedure
upfront and the insurance paid the bill on 11/13/18. I have called the dental
office a cuople of times since then regarding the reimbursement of my money and
they keep giving me the run around.

Asked on January 9, 2019 under Business Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

They should have returned it immediately--there is no right to keep it for any length of time--though as a practical matter, a court would understand that it takes time to process (and is not necessarily the practice's  highest priority), so if they returned it within 15 - 30 days, they'd be held to be fulfilling their obligation in good faith. But two months is excessive--there is no valid reason it should take so long. You could sue them now (e.g. in small claims court, as your own attorney or "pro se") for the money. That would be the only way to get it if the won't voluntarily pay it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption