Quit Claim deed for relenquishing my interests in the purchase of a home

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Quit Claim deed for relenquishing my interests in the purchase of a home

A friend and I recently purchased a house and received the warranty deed at closing. I, as grantor, would like to transfer my interets in the house to the other party, grantee. Do I and the friend both have to be grantors or can I be the sole grantor as the party turning over all rights?

Asked on August 16, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can be the sole grantor of the quit claim deed, because what you are relinquishing via a quit claim deed is your rights to the property, whatever they may be--i.e. you are not warranting what the other party gets (as you would with a warranty deed) but only in essence saying "Whatever I had, it is no yours." You do not need any other person, including the other owner, to do that.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption