What are my rights regarding notification of a wage decrease?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights regarding notification of a wage decrease?

An email was sent to me about a month ago stating that my hourly pay was being reduced, effective immediately. Due to ongoing issues with an office email conversion I never received this email. After calling my bank last week, I realized that my paycheck was significantly less. I then called my boss at which time he notified me an email had been sent. He was aware of the email issues experienced in the office. I informed him I never received the email and he forwarded it to me. Considering this email was not received until about 3 weeks later, am I entitled to the higher hourly rate until that time?

Asked on November 23, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

No, unfortunately, you most likely would not be entitled to the higher wage, because your employer attempted to notify you. Just as notice would be effective if mailed to you, even if you did not receive the notice (e.g. if the letter was lost in the mail), if they attempted in good faith to use a reasonable means to notify you, then unless they had actual, affirmative knowledge that you did not receive it--e.g. they received some "nondelivery" notice--they may rely on the fact that they did send notice to you, even if you did not receive it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption