Purchase contract being cancelled, told to move out.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Purchase contract being cancelled, told to move out.

We wrote a contract on a home we were purchasing with a 2 month lease attached. This was to allow time for credit repair and gain access to funds for the purchase. I found out that my account is frozen and I don’t have access to

those funds currently. We are already living in the home. I informed my agent and said I wish to cancel the contract. I was contacted back and told the sellers are cancelling and I must move out of the property by 5 pm today. They can’t do that can they? They are threatening the police and everything.

Asked on May 25, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, they cannot call the police on you--this is not a crime--and cannot simply lock you out themselves. But they don't have to let you stay: they can bring a legal action on an expedited ("emergent") basis to get a court order that thd sheriff (or other law enforcement officer--who does this may vary by state) remove you and your belongings: this generally takes around 2 weeks. They can also sue you for the money you should have paid under the contract b or for any loses or costs you caused them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption