What to do if I got pulled over and got a ticket for “no proof of insurance”?

UPDATED: Dec 28, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 28, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I got pulled over and got a ticket for “no proof of insurance”?

I do not have insurance on this car and don’t plan to since this car is going to be repossessed. I literally took it up the street to drop the items off at Goodwill. Do I have to show up in court for this? The officer said it would just be a fine.

Asked on December 28, 2013 under Criminal Law, Missouri


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Generally, if you have been summoned, you should show up.  If you still do not have insurance, you will, at a minimum, be fined.  Check your citation.  If there is an option to mail in a fine, you may be able to avoid going to court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption