Probate estate was reopened 7 months after closing, 2 years ago.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Probate estate was reopened 7 months after closing, 2 years ago.

Father passed away owning timeshare/real estate in FL, the last one sold after the estate was closed, so it was reopened. Nothing has happened since reopening. No final distribution has been filed or made. What can the beneficiaries do to get this done and closed for good? It was reopened 10/2015. The executor of the estate is estranged from the rest of the family and does not communicate anything.

Asked on March 13, 2018 under Estate Planning, Maryland


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Is the estate that has been re-opened been done in Maryland?  I am confused about that.  Is it an ancillary proceeding in another State?  You can file for an accounting or likely a Petition to compel the Executor to act or a motion to remove him if he isn't acting.  Or maybe hire an attorney to write a few letters to the estate attorney and the executor to light a fire.  May be the least expensive way to get a rise.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption