If I’m in a pre-trial release program, what are the consequences for failing a drug/alcohol test while in the program?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m in a pre-trial release program, what are the consequences for failing a drug/alcohol test while in the program?

I work offshore 14 and 14 and do very well for myself so paying the bond was no issue, however getting in touch with someone was so I got pre-trial release. How are these situations handled by PTR officers?

Asked on September 12, 2015 under Criminal Law, Florida


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

PTR is basically an opportunity for a defendant to remain out while their case is pending.  They are allowed to remain free as long as they comply with the conditions of their bond.
Your question implies either that you have missed a required contact with your release officer or you have failed a drug/alcohol test.  If you fail to comply with either, the officer may do one of two things.  The first potential is for the officer to give you a "warning", namely... they could tell you to get into counseling for whatever you tested positive for and to "not to it again."  the second potential is for the officer to report back to the court that you have violated a condition.  If you have a hard judge, they could revoke and/or increase your bond.  If you have a more lenient judge, they too could give you a second opportunity to stay out on bond.  I'm sorry this answer is a bit vague... however, the end result really depends on the personalities of the people that are in charge of your case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption