What to do about a possession of 1/5 of a gram of marijuana charge?

UPDATED: Sep 1, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 1, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about a possession of 1/5 of a gram of marijuana charge?

This “1/5 gram” was in a pipe and had already been completely smoked- only ashes were left. I have the citation and apparently a few options that I will find out soon when I call. Any advice?

Asked on September 1, 2012 under Criminal Law, West Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The best way to try and resolve the possession of a controlled substance charge against you is for you to consult with a criminal defense attorney as to what the best options are for its resolution with respect to costs and ultimate success. If your county has a "diversion" program, possibly you might qualify for it.

If you do, then you will be required to do community service work, pay a fine, attend classes and stay out of trouble for a certain period of time. If successful under this program, the charge against you would possibly be dismissed where you do not end up with a criminal conviction on your record.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption