Do I have to have an attorney to petition to close trust early or canI do it myself?

UPDATED: Jan 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 4, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have to have an attorney to petition to close trust early or canI do it myself?

Can I do this myself as the trustee? The trust matures 02/12 but is only holding a small percentage of ownership in real estate;all the cash has been disbursed and we are still having to pay bonds, accounting fees, etc. which is very expensive. The commissioner said that he has no issue with us closing early under the circumstances, and to to get my lawyer to petition to close the trust, but that is another expense. Is this something I am able to do without a lawyer to save money and speed up the process?

Asked on January 4, 2011 under Estate Planning, Virginia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

I do not see any reason that you have to hire an attorney to petition to close the trust as the trustee of the trust, so long as you comply with the law in doing so.  Do you have any idea on how to do same?  It would most likely have to be filed in Court.  Go down to the Courts and speak with the clerks in the trust and estates division.  They are generally very helpful in these matters and they may even have forms for you to look at.  You also need to make sure that you comply with all the final accounting of the trust assets and filing of a final accounting.  You also have to decide what you are going to do with the remaining asset. Albeit it small it is still an asset. Remember that yo have a fiduciary duty here and that is serious business. You need to make sure that you are protected as well. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption