Can I obtain a copy of accounting records since my mom assisgned a POA ?

UPDATED: Nov 8, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 8, 2018Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I obtain a copy of accounting records since my mom assisgned a POA ?

My parents had a will. My dad died and my mom had dimensia so my brother was appointed her heath care proxy and POA. He had sole control over all monies my dads pension / IRA’S etc coming and going out of my parent’s estate until her recent death. I have 4 other siblings and we six are all equal beneficiaries. Can we and how do we obtain accounting records since my dads passing in 2011? We are located in Massachusetts.

Asked on November 8, 2018 under Estate Planning, Massachusetts


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  Probate is absolutely necessary and yes, you can ask for an accounting of the funds while he was the POA on the account.  IF theer is a debt to repay then the Executor has the right to pursue it.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption