Permenant Resident Card Application

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Permenant Resident Card Application

I am reaching out in hopes of getting advice in regard to my situation. I have application I-485 in process, it is outside of normal processing times, currently pending adjudication with an officer. My issue is that my state ID has expired. I am unable to renew my state ID without valid proof of identity documents. My employment of authorization has expired as well. I have not renewed my employment of authorization in hopes that my application will be approved soon. Should I renew my employment of authorization document, even if I have a pending permanent residency application. I am an asylee, and was granted family asylum. My parents misplaced my I-94 card. Therefore, I do not know what my best option is? In order to renew my state ID, I need to present my I-94 card or my Employment of authorization document. Which do you advise me to apply for?

Asked on April 10, 2019 under Immigration Law, New York


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You should absolutely renew your employment a uthorization document as it is not known when the I-485 will be adjudicated and you need to have valid employment authorization.  Once you do that, show it to the DMV; it should be sufficient to get your license renewed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption