UPDATED: May 12, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 12, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption


I run a small shop and sometimes the bank account is not always “on the green”. So in order to avoid my employees to get their paychecks bounced I cash their paychecks for them at my own store. Except, for the first time an employee has told me that she does not want me to cash her check. She wants to cash it a her bank. Do I have to hand her a paycheck or can I tell her that the way we pay people here is by cashing their own paychecks?I dont wish to step over the boundaries.

Asked on May 12, 2009 under Business Law, Texas


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You cannot force her check be cashed at your store -- and it actually may be illegal.  You need to immediately contact the Texas.  Further, there may be tax implications for doing so, as well.

Contact the Texas Dept of Labor and then if you do not get the solid response you need, contact a labor law attorney in your state for a consultation.  Try

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption