Pay laws

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Pay laws

I worked a job for a week didn t like it
so went to do something else. State of
texas. I have an employer who was
supposed to pay me in direct deposit.
During the end of the pay period nothing
came in and no mention of the reason why
direct deposit didn t hit my bank.
eventhough i gave her a direct deposit
form and she said I’ll be direct
deposited my wages so I thought maybe
next payperiod I’ll get it direct
deposit. But nothing. Two more weeks of
waiting and I never received my pay.
Contacted her several times with no
response. But she finally answered. What
happened was that she decided to turn it
into a paper check without my knowledge
and never notified me and never
responding back to my previous emails
about my pay. Its been over a month and
I asked for the check to be sent to me
through mail or direct deposited. But
she says I have to sign a release form
to get my check and that she is no
obligated to direct deposit or mail it
to me and I feel threatened to go back
there since she said security will be
present to escort me. She says i need to
schedule a time to go back and have
security watch me while I get my check .
I was working at a store for 9.50 an

Asked on September 30, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can sue her (such as in small claims court as your own attorney, or "pro se," to minimize costs) for the money. The law does NOT allow her to require a release for your final paycheck--she must pay you that money no matter what. (If she wants a release, she can offer you additional money to sign it, over and above your final paycheck.) A small claims suit is the fastest, most straightforward way to get the money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption