How can we get a neighbor to remove a fence that has been on our property for years?

UPDATED: Sep 3, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 3, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can we get a neighbor to remove a fence that has been on our property for years?

Our neighbor has had a fence over our property line for about 20 years. Its now an issue and he refuses to move it saying its for his privacy. What do I do? This was never an issue until now that we are tryng to make additions to our home. He kept threatening to call the city and file a complaint. Now won’t even let workers get over the gate to out own property.

Asked on September 3, 2010 under Real Estate Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You will probably need to do to court. The fact that the fence has been there for many years does not necessarily give the neighbor a right to have it there (though there are some circumstances under which he could have acquired that right); however, cases where there are competing rights are ones that need to be resolved in court. You should consult with a real estate attorney, bringing with all documents relating to boundaries (e.g. deed, survey, etc.) and any/all correspondence with the neighbor; the attorney can evaluate the case and let you know your optitons. I suspect that, assuming the neighbor does not have the right to do what he is doing, you will need to sue him to get a court order forcing him to dismantle the fence.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption