How to remotely appeal ticket in a town I did not visit

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to remotely appeal ticket in a town I did not visit

I received on 8/19/17 in the mail for a parking violation notice from the City of
Thousand Oaks. The license plate number is my car and they have my correct
name and address, but they have it listed as a MEBE Mercedes Benz and
the incident as occurring in the City of Thousand Oaks on 6/13/17. My car is a
Chevy and I have not been in Thousand Oaks in several years.
I was off work for medical reasons on the listed date in my hometown several
hours away. I suspect that an error somewhere.
The city website will not let me view the ticket and it says that since it is over
2 months past due, that it is not eligible for an appeal though the mail or
website. How can I avoid going into the courthouse to get this appealed? It’s
a 380 parking ticket and I cannot afford to take work off to drive down there
to try and appeal this or to pay close to four hundred dollars on a ticket that
neither me nor my car incurred.

Asked on August 19, 2017 under General Practice, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Call the court clerk and ask if you can make a telephone appearance instead of being physically present in court.
If you can make a telephonic appearance, ask the court clerk for the documents you will need to request that appearance and the deadline prior to the hearing for submitting the documents.
If you miss the filing deadline or don't file the appropriate documents, your request for a telephonic appearance will be denied.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption