What to do if my wages are being garnshed but my employer has not been paying child support?

UPDATED: Nov 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 21, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my wages are being garnshed but my employer has not been paying child support?

The state is saying that I have not been paying child support for the past 2 months, even though I have paycheck records to prove that my wages are being garnished. I just switched jobs after being with my most recent employee for over a year. We had the same problem last winter and I confronted my boss. He claimed that he was sending the payments but they weren’t cashing the checks. I have strong suspicion that he has been garnishing my checks but keeping the money; I can’t say for sure but I have records to prove I’m being garnished for child support. However, the state still says I’m responsible for making sure it’s paid, but at this point I feel it’s out of my hands. What can I do? Sue my old employer?

Asked on November 21, 2012 under Family Law, Tennessee


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that the best way to resolve the situation that you are writing about is to contact the garnishee and show that your wages have been garnished where you direct the garnishee to demand copies of checks from the employer sent to where the garnishment order states. If the employer fails to do so, then it appears that he or she has pocketed the money improperly.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption