Not sure if this falls under divorce or workers comp

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Not sure if this falls under divorce or workers comp

I got married 13 years ago and divorced 10 years later. My ex-husband got hurt 15 years ago and won a workers’ comp settlement; she was paid 10 years ago while we were still married. Now, he is saying that I stole the money and spent it and I was allowed to do that. He is going to try to make me pay back the money. He is telling my kids that,

Asked on November 8, 2018 under Family Law, Illinois


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

It is always good to have a lawyer "on call" by consulting with one about the issues just in case he tries to move forward with something.  If he co-mingled the fnds in your joint account then I would say that he had an intent to have the funds become marital.  What he is saying to the kids, however, is unacceptable and you should talk with the lawyer about what you can do to make sure he stops.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption